Kara K. Stauffer
Experienced in all phases of litigation from start to finish, Kara has collected diverse and comprehensive experience representing clients of all sizes since 2006. Kara has amassed valuable experience working on a wide variety of litigation and arbitration matters, including wrongful death and personal injury litigation, contractual and indemnity disputes, commercial fraud and misrepresentation cases, defense of businesses and their employees against claims brought under Section 1983 and the American Disabilities Act, environmental claims, the partnership dissolution process, and providing legal guidance to creditor clients with their bankruptcy claims. She assists clients with drafting non-compete and confidentiality agreements as well as releases and settlement documents. In addition, Kara truly enjoys helping clients evaluate their case during the pre-litigation phase, which efforts have, on many occasions, led to a favorable commercial negotiations and settlement without the long-term expense of litigation.
Before opening Alvarez Stauffer Bremer PLLC with her two long-time colleagues, Graig Alvarez and Lance Bremer, Kara practiced with Fernelius Alvarez PLLC from 2011 to 2016. Previously, Kara was an associate in the litigation department at Fulbright & Jaworski LLP from 2006 to 2010 where she worked on a variety of litigation matters, including contractual and indemnity disputes related to environmental contamination and remediation, commercial business disputes, and insurance defense. There, she also developed extensive experience representing energy industry clients in connection with Department of Justice and Securities Exchange Commission investigations dealing with corporate responsibilities under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), as well as managing third party due diligence efforts. In addition, while previously working as in-house anti-corruption counsel for a major EPC company under a corporate monitor, she developed extensive due diligence and investigatory skills that are an invaluable backdrop to her current practice.
Kara’s diverse experiences allowed her to hone her skills in all aspects of litigation, from pre-litigation negotiations, discovery disputes, taking and defending fact witness and expert depositions, motion practice, settlement, to trial and arbitration, which she continues to apply today. Kara is well-versed in eDiscovery matters including the collection, processing and review of data. She enjoys working with expert witnesses in a wide variety of fields. Kara believes these skills as well as her broad range of experience allow her to effectively represent clients in an effective and diligent manner.
In addition to her legal career, Kara enjoys running, traveling, watching Houston sports teams and spending time with her family. She stays involved with school PTO organizations and actively manages her children’s busy schedules.
Kara’s prior experiences include:
- Successfully settled breach of contract case for company providing life cycle services for the energy industry, after prior settlement fell apart due to allegations of fraudulent inducement and mistake.
- Collectively worked with a team of state and private practice attorneys to negotiate a series of eight separate wrongful death settlements while assisting in coordination of related class action settlement dealing with civil rights, section 1983 claims, and the ADA on behalf of state agency providing healthcare services to the state correctional system.
- Prepared multiple successful summary judgment motions in dispute spanning three counties and covering multiple real estate transactions.
- Successful pursuit of contract and negligence claims on behalf of multi-national chemical company in connection with vendor services provided during a turnaround at one of its Texas facilities.
- Secured favorable and swift settlement on behalf of energy trading company after it discovered employee misconduct, utilizing injunctive relief to identify and restrict further use of company assets.
- Pursued and favorably settled multiple breach of contract cases on behalf of health sciences university.
- Defended a construction-services company in a complex wrongful death suit involving multiple parties on both the plaintiff and defense side, while achieving a quick settlement of associated indemnity obligations owed to the company by its subcontractor.
- Obtained injunctive relief on behalf of chemical company, effectively safeguarding key information and assets during pendency of civil action and related criminal proceedings.
- Represented an oil and gas company in connection with a frack flow-back water dispute, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Successfully resolved arbitration in favor of employer relating to a physician-employment agreement.
- Secured favorable settlement for a large manufacturer of hand and power tools in a personal injury lawsuit.
- Achieved an advantageous result for an oilfield supplier in a business-disruption claim.
- Secured a summary judgment for a consolidated energy company in connection with benzene exposure. Reported Opinion: 605 F.Supp.2d 1142 (E.D. Wash. 2009).
- Successfully obtained denial of requested declaratory relief in a partnership dispute.
- Represented an international oil and gas company in an indemnity suit related to lease remediation obligations.
- Represented multiple energy companies during investigations initiated by the DOJ and SEC.
- Successfully represented a national insurance company at trial in connection with a fraudulent personal injury lawsuit.
- Represented a well-known circus in a lawsuit involving alleged violations of the Endangered Species Act.
Education and Bar Admissions
- Licensed in Texas since 2006
- S. District Courts of Texas: Eastern, Southern, Western Districts
University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas
J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence – 2006; magna cum laude
Research Editor, Houston Law Review
University of Houston, Houston, Texas
Bachelor of Science, magna cum laude
Honors and Professional Affiliations
- Texas Rising Star
- Houston Bar Association President’s Award
- Houston Bar Association
- Professionalism Committee, Mentor, 2020-2021
- Lawyers for Literacy Committee, Member, 2017 to Present
- Fee Dispute Committee, Member, 2018 to Present
- John J. Eikenburg Law Week Fun Run Committee, Member, 2006-2018
- Co-chair, John J. Eikenburg Law Week Fun Run Committee for the 25th anniversary race in 2010 and again in 2016
- American Bar Association
- ABA Energy Litigation Website Subcommittee, Member, 2011-2016
- ABA Environment & Energy Litigation Website Subcommittee, Member, 2016
Speeches and Publications
- “TX Supreme Court: CO2 Removal is Postproduction Cost,” ABA Energy Litigation Journal (Summer 2014, Vol. 13 No. 4)
- “New Texas Anti-Indemnity Law May Affect More Than the Obvious,” ABA Energy Litigation Website (September 2012)
- “Robinson Township v. Commonwealth,” (Pennsylvania’s Act 13),ABA Energy Litigation Website (August 2012)
- Co-author, “SEC Filing Requirements: Do You Risk Waiving a Privilege?” 2007, IADC Newsletter