Lance R. Bremer
With colleagues Graig Alvarez and Kara Stauffer, Lance co-founded Alvarez Stauffer Bremer PLLC in 2016.
Lance started his career in the Energy Litigation Group of Fulbright & Jaworski LLP’s Houston office, where he practiced until 2013. Lance then practiced with Fernelius Alvarez Simon PLLC from 2013 until July 2016.
Lance’s practice includes oil and gas disputes, contract disputes, insurance coverage issues, products liability suits, and other matters. Lance is licensed to practice in Texas and has represented clients in the state and federal courts of Texas, Oklahoma, California, and Louisiana. Lance has also represented clients in both domestic and international arbitrations under the auspices of the AAA, ICC, LCIA, ICDR, and FINRA.
Lance’s prior experience includes:
- Represented co-owner of a small business in a management dispute with multinational company over the operation of the business, including allegations of mismanagement and breach of fiduciary duty. Case settled after one day of trial.
- Obtained a Texas Supreme Court opinion finding insurance coverage for a manufacturing company after the company provided allegedly defective products to a refinery and was sued for damages associated with the replacement of the supplied products. Insurer had previously denied coverage.
- Obtained complete defense award, including the recovery of all defense fees and expenses, in an expedited AAA arbitration concerning the intent and interpretation of a contractual area of mutual interest (AMI) provision in a joint-venture agreement; plaintiff sought the conveyance of property interests or, alternatively, damages for the alleged failure to convey property interests that it valued in excess of $300 million.
- Defended an independent oil and gas exploration company in an ICC arbitration hearing arising from an agreement with a third-party business consultant; plaintiff was awarded no damages after alleging fraud, anticipatory repudiation and breach of contract, and seeking actual and punitive damages or more than $700 million.
- Obtained a substantial verdict for the plaintiff in a case involving the defendant’s failure to pay for directional-drilling services; defendant also counterclaimed for damages associated with alleged misguiding of a drilling bore; court delivered a verdict in favor of the plaintiff on all claims and awarded 90 percent of the amount due, plus attorney’s fees.
- Assisted a large mineral owner with the pre-litigation settlement of a potential dispute regarding the attempted exercise of an option to purchase oil and gas interests at a substantial discount to market which, if it had been exercised, would have potentially terminated a transaction worth $90 million.
- Represented a Mexican manufacturing company in connection with a construction-contract dispute involving a large radio telescope being built in Mexico; litigation and injunctive proceedings filed in San Diego, Calif., resulted in a quick settlement.
- Represented an underwriter in connection with allegations of misrepresentation in the offering materials published in advance of an initial public offering; judge granted summary judgment on all claims against the underwriter, and the summary judgment was affirmed on appeal to the 14th Court of Appeals.
- Represented an international energy company in a dispute with co-owners of an interest in a block offshore Nigeria involving drilling and other operational activities.
- Represented a major international energy company in an LCIA arbitration regarding the termination of a contract to sell an oil and gas concession in Oman.
- Represented a major international electronics company in efforts to recover manufacturing equipment worth $2.5 million.
- Represented a major steel manufacturer in connection with multiple lawsuits, pending in both domestic and international courts, arising out of several stock-purchase agreements.
- Represented numerous major refineries in multiple cases involving injuries suffered as a result of alleged exposure to benzene.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing claims against pesticide manufacturers whose products were alleged to have caused injuries to plaintiff.
Education and Bar Admissions
- Licensed in Texas since 1998
- S. District Courts of Texas: Eastern, Southern Districts
- Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
J.D., Doctor of Jurisprudence – 1998
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas
B.A.; Honors: Cum Laude, Plan II Honors Liberal Arts
Honors and Professional Affiliations
- Texas Rising Star, Litigation, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Martindale-Hubbell: AV Peer Review Rated
- Houston Bar Association
Speeches and Publications
- “Rights of First Refusal,” 26th Annual Advanced Oil, Gas and Energy, Resource Law Course, San Antonio, Texas, 2008
- “Rights of First Refusal”, Austin Bar Association’s Oil, Gas and Mineral Law section luncheon, Austin, Texas, 2008
- Roundtable-discussion moderator, “Right of First Refusal Litigation”, Trends in Energy Litigation 2007, Fulbright & Jaworski Breakfast Seminar, Houston, Texas, 2007
- Contributing author, “Dispute Resolution in 50 Jurisdictions Worldwide”, Getting the Deal Through, Texas Chapter, 2008 – 2012
- Co-author, “Right of First Refusal Litigation”, Fulbright & Jaworski L.L.P. 2007 Trends in Energy Litigation, 2007